With the objectives to develop undergraduates’ abilities to conduct independent research and to enhance undergraduates’ awareness of issues in the field of English studies, Professor Charles Bazerman, University of California at Santa Barbara has kindly agreed to donate a sum to the University to establish Professor Charles Bazerman English Studies Research Award. It is an annual contest that serves as a platform for undergraduate students who major in English to conduct research in English studies. It aims to stimulate the academic potential of our undergraduates.
The following regulations shall apply as of 2023/24:
- The Award shall be known as “Professor Charles Bazerman English Studies Research Award”.
- There shall be ONE award team / individual chosen each year from BAEN students. The award team / individual will receive HK$3,800.
- Applicants for the Award must:
- Be local residents of Hong Kong
- Students who are in the BAEN program
- Demonstrate superior research writing ability as evidenced through the submission of one coherent research project
- Demonstrate superior spoken English as evidenced in an interview
- Conditions of the Award:
- The Award will be offered in the form of cash payment.
- Award winner(s) must maintain a CGPA of at least 3.0 and must comply with all regulations of the university.
- Winner(s) will assist in activities (such as presentations or writing workshops) designed to enhance the learning culture in the Department and in fostering a creative English environment.
- Application Procedure:
- Applicants must submit their application form and their research project via AIMS by 15 May, 2024.
- Projects will be screened and judged by our EN faculty in the preliminary judging stage. Finalists will be judged by the Head of Department of English.
- Finalists will undergo an interview to determine the extent to which their spoken English is reflective of the quality of their writing. One project team will be chosen from the finalists.
- In the case that a team is awarded, the award value will be equally shared among all members of that team and each team member will receive the award directly as an individual award recipient. The Department shall submit nominations of each team member to Student Development Services.
- Nominations from the Department of English should reach the Student DevelopmentServices by June each year and the awards shall then be made as soon as possible.
With an objective to nurture our students and to promote caring culture, the Community Relations Committee of the University Council has recommended that each award recipient is expected to make an annual donation of at least HK$200 to City University of Hong Kong for student support via CityU Alumni Giving Club when they are in employment after graduation. This term has been incorporated into all scholarship/prize/award/bursary schemes, whether they are donated by external donors or contributed by University funding, with effect from February 2008.