The Department of English, Professor Shirley G.L Lim Poetry Writing Scholarship is sponsored by Professor Shirley Geok-Lin Lim, University of California at Santa Barbara. It is an annual poetry writing contest that serves as a platform for undergraduate students majoring English Studies to express creatively through writing poetry in English. It also aims to stimulate the poetic potential of our undergraduates.
- To develop undergraduates' creativity and writing abilities
- To enhance undergraduates' awareness and appreciation of poetry
The following regulations shall apply as of 2020/21:
- The scholarship shall be known as "City University of Hong Kong - Department of English, Professor Shirley G.L Lim Poetry Writing Scholarship".
- There shall be 3 award winners chosen each year from BAELST students. The champion will receive HK$1800 as a reward, first runner-up will receive HK$1200 and the second runner-up will receive HK$800.
- Applicants for the Award must:
- Be local residents of Hong Kong
- Students who are in the BAELTS/BAEN program
- Demonstrate superior creative writing ability as evidenced through the submission of one poem
- Demonstrate superior spoken English as evidenced in an interview
- Conditions of the Scholarship:
- The award will be offered in the form of cash payments.
- Scholarship winners must maintain a CGPA of a least 3.0 and must comply with all regulations of the university.
- Winners will assist in activities (such as fiction/poetry readings, writing workshops) designed to enhance the learning culture in the Department and in fostering a creative English environment.
- Application Procedure:
- Applicants must submit their application by 15 January, 2021.
- Applicants should submit the application form and one poem (by post) to Professor Diane Pecorari, Head, Department of English.
- Poems will be screened and judged by our Creative Writing Course faculty in the preliminary judging stage. Finalists will be judged by our Department Head, Professor Diane Pecorari and Professor Shirley G.L. Lim.
- Finalists will undergo an interview to determine the extent to which their spoken
English is reflective of the quality of their poems. Three winners will be chosen from among the finalists.
Download application form here