The Department of English, Professor Charles Bazerman Prose Writing Award is sponsored by Professor Charles Bazerman, University of California at Santa Barbara. It is an annual prose writing contest that serves as a platform for undergraduate students who major in English to express creatively through writing prose in English. It also aims to stimulate the writing potential of our undergraduates.
- To develop undergraduates’ creativity and writing abilities
- To enhance undergraduates’ awareness and appreciation of prose
The following regulations shall apply as of 2019/20:
- The award shall be known as “City University of Hong Kong – Department of English, Professor Charles Bazerman Prose Writing Award”.
- There shall be 3 award winners chosen each year from BAELST/BAEN students. The champion will receive HK$1800 as a reward, first runner-up will receive HK$1200 and the second runner-up will receive HK$800.
- Applicants for the Award must:
- Be local residents of Hong Kong
- Students who are in the BAELST/BAEN program
- Demonstrate superior creative writing ability as evidenced through the submission of one prose
- Demonstrate superior spoken English as evidenced in an interview
- Conditions of the Award:
- The award will be offered in the form of cash payments.
- Scholarship winners must maintain a CGPA of a least 3.0 and must comply with all regulations of the university.
- Winners will assist in activities (such as fiction/poetry readings, writing workshops) designed to enhance the learning culture in the Department and in fostering a creative English environment.
- Application Procedure:
- Applicants must submit their application form and one piece of writing in various forms of prose writing, to include creative non-fiction, memoir and life writing, the expository essay, short story, travel writing, experimental forms of narrative, nature writing and science popularization, historical accounts, essays on social or cultural issues, academic arguments, journalism, opinion essays etc, by November 30, 2019.
- Applicants should submit the application form and one piece of writing (by post) to Professor Diane Pecorari, The Head of Department of English.
- Prose will be screened and judged by our Creative Writing Course faculty in the preliminary judging stage. Finalists will be judged by Our Head, Professor Diane Pecorari.
- Finalists will undergo an interview to determine the extent to which their spoken English is reflective of the quality of their prose. Three winners will be chosen from among the finalists.
Download application form here